As we all know the internet is MASSIVE and it now plays an integral role in our daily lives, reaching all corners of the world and influencing many. It gives birth to momentous thoughts and ideas, shapes democracies, creates opportunities and transforms millions of lives (sometimes not always for the better).

As of December 2016, 47% of the world’s population had access to the internet, this figure is astounding and its direct and indirect impact on global retail sales is no less impressive and amounts to trillions of pounds. Figures are showing no sign of decline anytime soon and experts have estimated that the total amount of internet traffic this year will be more than all previous internet years combined- with this in mind it would be a great time for you to expand your current digital strategy.

Furthermore, you’ll find below some extremely interesting and thought provoking statistics regarding the internet- we were even surprised by some of them! One in particular was real food for thought- did you know that despite the United States having 87% of its population online, it is still only ranking at No.25 when it comes to Internet access penetration? However, Bermuda has a whopping 98% (the highest internet penetration in the world). Even the UK ranks at No.15- beating the States by 10 places!

Drum roll please for some interesting statistics…

Internet statistics…

#1.  As of December 2015, there were 3.26 billion internet users.

#2.  China has the highest number of internet users totalling a whopping 640 million.

#3.  In 2015 digital interactions influenced retail sales by £1.7 trillion.

#4.  Facebook has 1.55 billion active users.

#5.  There are 2.9 billion Google searches made every day.

#6.  Blogs are increasingly popular and 2.7 million posts are published every day.

#7.  48.4% of internet users are from Asia.

#8.  97.75% of people in Bermuda use the internet.

Domain name statistics…

#1.  The world’s number one domain name extension is .com

#2.  There are over 123 million .com domain names registered.

#3.  .com accounts for 50% of all registered domain names.

#4.  As of November 2015, there were a total odd 1096 top level domains.

#5.  In 2010 the most expensive domain name ever sold was for £27.6 million.

Hosting/ website statistics & facts…

#1.  The first website was published in August 1991 by Tim Berners-Lee.

#2.  WordPress in the taking the blogging world by storm and is responsible for 76.5 million blogs.

#3.  37,000 websites are hacked every day.

#4.  Google is the world’s biggest website followed by Facebook & YouTube.

#5.  There are over 966 million websites in the world today.

#6.  WordPress is back again but this time as the world most popular content management system (CMS).

#7.  The highest number of websites to exist was achieved in September 2014 & totalled 1 billion.

#8.  56% of internet traffic comes from robots, spammers & scrapers and the remaining 44% is human.

E-commerce & conversion…

#1.  A one second delay in site loading time will lead to 7% loss in conversion.

#2.  More than 1 billion people have bought products online.

#3.  40% of consumers will abandon your website if it takes longer than 3 seconds to load.

#4.  40% of shoppers consult 3 or more channels before making a purchase.

#5.  8/10 consumers will shop online if free shipping is available.

#6.  97% of users abandon mobile shopping carts, compared to 70-75% for desktop users.

#7.  Increase your conversion rate by 74% by increasing your website speed from 8 to 2 seconds.

#8.  Internet visits from desktop lead to more sales than visits from other devices.

Mobile internet…

#1.  48% of mobile users start their search on search engines.

#2.  Google now uses mobile compatibility as a ranking factor.

#3.  4/5 consumers use a smartphone to shop.

#4.  70% of mobile searches result in an online action within one hour of the search being conducted.

#5.  50% of mobile users will abandon a web page if it takes more than 10 seconds to load and 60% won’t return to the site.

#6.  There are more mobile users worldwide than desktop users.

#7.  In 2015, mobile-influenced retail sales by £800 billion.

Now, judging by these stats we’d say it’s crucial that your business is making the most of what the internet has to offer. If you feel like yours isn’t please get in touch with the team at R88 Media and find out how we can help your business reach its true online potential.